Topic: Time Clock / Time Sheets / Punch time

It would be of great help if login, break, and logout times are tracked. An ability wherein employee clicks login, break, and logout whenever applicable. The entire functionality should work in the following way:

1) Employee's shift is scheduled for a particular duration. Example: 7.30 am to 4.30 pm
2) Employee punches his start time. If he is late, it should reflect on his Karma
3) If logs out early, it should reflect on his Karma
4) All these should be counted as exceptions.
5) Single view to manager who logged at what time (Late, more breaks, early logout etc....)
6) Employee should see their own exceptions
7) Manager should have an ability to generate reports something called as Timesheets.

So far it's been great using the app. But since there is no punch clock, I have to use a separate app which makes the task tedious.

Thanks

Last edited by mpatil (May 21, 2010 - 9:31pm)

Re: Time Clock / Time Sheets / Punch time

Hi @Mpatil -

Thanks for the detailed summary, and continued participation.

We're currently working hard to deliver punch time functionality soon. We'll keep your comments in mind as we develop. Thanks!

Ryan

YES YES YES!  This would be great.  Since we use a different punch clock application that's ties to our Payroll, I actually am so backlogged on the approving of shift on here.

It's simply too much for me to go back through everyone's time card and confirm the times worked.

I hope this doesn't create some sort of backlog on your server....I doubt it, but I have a few hundred shifts awaiting approval.

Quick answer - Un-approved shifts don't create any backlog on our side. Just yours big_smile

I understand how going through the time cards and bringing that data to ShiftPlanning would be alot of work. If you wouldn't mind letting me know what system(s) you are currently using there as well I can look into this more.

Thanks

Smart Clock/Out of the Box
Coastal Data Products
6135 N.W. 167th Street, Suite E18
Miami, Florida 33015
Phone (305)558-6800
Fax (305)558-5674
http://www.smartclock.com
email sales@smartclock.com

Icon Time Systems - Universal Clock - RTC-1000-2.0
http://www.icontime.com/products/hardware/universal/
Department Module, Management Module

Cheers

TimeTrex Payroll Services

www.timetrex.com

Our business has employees scheduled in different places at different events. We require a timesheet to be emailed to us once a week from each employee. It would be great if my employees could login to shiftplanning at the end of the week (or payperiod), and create an "actual times worked" timesheet based on their shifts. Then, I could do the shift approvals from what they submit.

Right now, I have to schedule in shiftplanning, receive a separate email with a Word document timesheet from each employee each week, go back into shiftplanning and check against what the scheduled shifts were and then manually approve their timesheets. Then, I put all of my employees times for each week in a spreadsheet so my bookeeper has one sheet to look at.

It would be great to have everything in one spot where it is all connected and then have a report to print out for my bookeeper. I would rather approve the shifts this way.

Thanks for all your time in refining this site. It is a great tool for us.

Hi @Refreshmentconceptsllc,

Time-clocking is high up on the development list, and is coming soon. I will be able to provide an accurate ETA in about 2 weeks as we're currently working to clear a few big developments. One thing that would be really helpful for us if you could provide us some details as to what your dream time-sheet system would look like so we can keep your idea's in mind when developing.

Thanks for your detailed message and interest in helping us to improve ShiftPlanning.

Ryan

Thanks, Ryan for your quick response.

We run an event/concession business where people are in different places or at different events on any given day during the week/weekend. Most of our employees are paid hourly. Our timesheets are pretty simple right now. They are in table form, whereas each "shift" worked can be filled out on a row. The column headers are as follows:

- Date
- Event/Activity/Duties
- Start Time
- End Time
- Total Hours worked
- Hourly rate
- Total pay

Timesheets are filled out on weekly basis. If you could build the timesheet where it grabs their scheduled shifts from any period of time (weekly for my sake) and drops the info into a form and they can manually adjust the actual time worked (Sometimes they may arrive late or have to work a little over their scheduled time). Also, there would be a spot where they can manually add shifts that may have never been scheduled in shiftplanning. Then, once they finish editing the info and submit to management for final approval, it sends me an email from shiftplanning that their timesheet is ready. Maybe have some sort of "timesheet" folder as a whole, categorized by pay periods and where it also groups each employees timesheet under their name.

Just some thoughts about my "dream timesheet" lol.
Thanks again!!!

Hi @Refreshmentconceptsllc,

Couple questions:

• Would an actual time-clock be useful for your business?
    i.e.the website could be used in an actual clock in/out format to log time?

• Is hourly rate in your business dependent on the event/activity/duties, or is it on the employee?

Thanks for your detailed response.

Ryan

I think a time-clock senario is a great option for many businesses where employees have access to a computer for the business. When our employees arrive to work and would need to "punch a clock", they do not have access to a computer and some employees don't have internet on their phones for easy access. I would definitely develop that feature; I bet many people could use it. We would need just an all-encompassing time-sheet. As far as hourly rate, it is typically based on person and not duty. However, we do have situations where a special event may pay a little more. I don't mind overriding the standard hourly info on an as-needed basis though.

Having a timesheet that could be generated based on actual hours worked would be really great for us as well! So glad to hear that is in the works. Currently employees must create one manually, then we have to check it against the schedule anyway. Perhaps it could be listed on the reports page, and permission could be given for employees to run their individual timesheet? In addition, I'm hoping there could be a way for our HR person to have access to running reports only. I dont think we would want an actual time-clock, but I'm sure that would be a feature that other companies would find useful. There are other features we have on our current timesheets, but not sure they could be incorporated (i.e. shift differentials for nights, vacation & holiday pto, etc). Thanks!

I would like to see a time sheet feature that also has certain security measures. To avoid instances such as an employee punching in/out another by providing them with with email and password. Another instance for potential misuse for the system would be an employee punching in or out before or after they have finished a shift. For instance an employee that works an opening shift in a service based business could be running late and punch in from a smart phone to avoid being listed as late. Or employees forgetting to or not punching out all together and doing so later after their shift has ended.

In the service business we use ShiftPlanning for, the shift often end after the time in which the employee is actually scheduled. At present, the write in their own time sheets and there have at time been some doubt as to the time sheet integrity when management is not present or simply cannot micro manage employee accuracy in time sheets.

Hi @Cafemantic -

Thanks for contributing your thoughts to this topic.

I understand your concerns regarding staff clocking in/out each other and about how different security measures need to be in place for different types of businesses. We're planning on building our platform to accommodate a wide number of business types which requires the flexibility for businesses to allow mobile clocking in for example, while for other businesses to lock down time clocking to individual locations. ie - They would have to be on the store premises to clock in/out.

Ultimately there is a trust element involved in any time-clock authentication that doesn't use some form of biometric device to fully verify the authenticity of the user.

The initial version of our time-clocking feature won't allow for this, so we'll do our best to build checks in place to limit the potential risk for abuse. In future versions we're looking at using cheap hardware such as a webcams which would allow a quick photo to be taken of the user each time they clock in/out.  (or connect with 3rd party biometric devices).

I'll provide updates here as we progress, and I look forward to hearing any further comments that you have.

Thanks

Ryan

Biometrics, now that sounds hardcore. Makes me feel like I running some type of government agency here...  Having the clock locked to one location while still using an online platform sounds like a great direction.

Yes I agree for most businesses there isn't a need for biometrics; As long as the time-clocking can be locked to a single location, then it doesn't take to figure out if that employee is actually present or not.

--

Update
For businesses that do want more protection our initial time-clocking release is going to include the ability to use a webcam for taking a photo at clock in / out.

I've merged two topics around time clocking - This feature is actively in development so we'll be providing frequent updates as we go along. Don't hesitate to continue sharing any new idea's into this topic.

Thanks

Ryan

Time Clocking is now online in Beta. There is still tons left on the list to implement in this module, but we want to get it into your hands so you can help guide our development.

I look forward to hearing your comments.

Thanks

Ryan

--

Btw - To turn on Time Clocking go to: 'Admin' -> 'Settings' -> 'Time Clock' smile

I don't want to pile too much on here, but...

Having the ability to add breaks later, would be helpful to us.  Maybe as a manager's function (15 mins, 30 mins, 1 hour)

ALSO... I can't see how to create any time clocking reports, am I missing something?

My pay period ends on Thursday's every two weeks, is there a report of total hours I can set up and print to send to our accountant?

We're really excited to see the time clock feature, but so far, it doesn't seem to yield information that can be easily used. Is there a report we can generate with this information, such as weekly hours reported? Additionally, can a manager add time for an employee? Right now, it seems like an employee can edit previous days' hours for manager approval, but the manager can't just add that information in him or herself.

It would be helpful to allow Managers and schedulers to punch employees in.  I just hired 4 new staff, but their paperwork wasn't all completed yet for their Orientation day, so they weren't in the system yet.  I want to add their clock-in/out from the paper time sheets they filled out, but apparently only the user can initiate a punch clock, so I can't add the days they started last week..at least, i don't see that option anywhere.

Other features that would be helpful:

1.  Be able to EXPORT the time sheets.  right now you can IMPORT them, but not export.  Seems like this should be rather simple to do, not sure why it wasn't already added.

2.  The ability to PRINT time cards as a report is a MUST HAVE.

These are actually MUST HAVES, especially if your company doesn't connect Shiftplanning with internal payroll.  Without the ability to document the punches on paper makes this feature virtually useless.

I think a Timesheet report is the most urgent and seems the easiest for you guys to develop.  Unfortunately, this feature is really a pain to use if I can see a report per employee of the hours that they clocked in for within a certain period of time.

Basically take your "attendance" report and make it use the time clock data... but it would be more helpful if it could be by day.

Hi All -

Your frustrations are heard with the lack of full support in the time-clocking module in terms of reports,etc. These were scheduled for release this past week, however we ran into a few issues, and they have been pushed back for this coming week. I'll have an update as soon as these and other improvements to the time-clock module are rolled out.

We're also going through the outline right now to revamp our current reports/print options both for schedules & reports. Any comments/suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks

Ryan

Update:

Filter - We've just implemented an improved date filter, as well as filter by employee & schedule.

Reports - Implemented is a time-sheet report which reports all approved time-sheets, and totals there hours in any given time period.

the improvements on the "manage timesheets" tab are a HUGE help to me.  The only thing that might make it perfect is if there was a preview of the notes feild.. but I don't want to be too demanding, this is more than expected so soon.

thanks!

*That was actually in our last version but got forgotten about in this latest release. We'll have it back online shortly.

Thanks smile

Back:

http://cdn.spgrab.com/pnp.png

that would be OK.  If I was being really selfish, I'd ask if it could appear with the first line of text from the note just below the shift details -- this probably not helpful to most of your users, but for us, the notes field is where our employees put info on their breaks and what projects they worked on.

mfredrick has a nice idea, but it definitely should not be something that is automatically done for everyone.  For us, it would be helpful for SOME of the shifts, but by having only the first line forces everyone to have the first line of notes fit into however many characters can fit into the allocated space otherwise it would be cut off and not be helpful at all!

I'm coming in late here so I apologize if this was covered already.  But I'd like a way for employees to enter their times worked (start time, end time) down to the minute by clicking the clock OR by typing it in if they mess up and forget to punch in or out.  Currently, if they make a mistake, they can't fix it. 

We can't use the timeclock (and we'd like to do so!!) until employee changes are allowed because it's too much extra work for me to delete the bad time entry and have them redo it.

They should be able to change times until I process the payroll for that time period. But that prohibition is really not a big issue.

Thanks!
Terry

Hi Terry,

Thanks for your message. Our idea here is to allow staff the ability to edit their time-sheets just like management can. The only difference would be is that a staff edit would 'un-approve' the time-sheet again, making sure it always goes through management approval before being used in reports.

Does that sound like it would work for you?

(We're working internally now on a number of updates to the Time Clock module)

Ryan

Ryan,

That sounds pretty good, but in our case allowing employees to change their time-sheets after they have been approved will add extra work for Supervisors.

If and employee edits his/her time shifts before the sheet is approved, raise a warning flag must be displayed similar to what we currently receive if the clock-in/out occurs from different locations. Otherwise, for example, a tardy employee can edit his/her time sheet to hide his tardiness. Since the current supervisor accounts do not have access to the event log, such change will go unnoticed.

Thanks,
- Mike

Hi Mike -

I see how that could become an issue smile

What if we stored the employee edited times separately, that way we can easily report the difference to management like you've mentioned when they go to approve them.

Another thing I cane see worth including here is the ability for employees to view their own event log, as well as supervisors/schedulers to view the event log for those schedules/stff in which they have permissions.

Ryan

Ryan,

Your proposal to give the ability for employees and managers to see see their logs would be fantastic!  It would increase the transparency and accountability so highly prized this day and age. As and added bonus if an edited time sheet is flagged the manager can examine the logs for details of the change if there is any question about the edit.

Taking the above to the next level: an ability to click on an edited time sheet to view all details of it's modification history (who changed what, when, and how) would further simplify the workflow for the supervisor/manager and improve the transparency and accountability for all involved. Depending on your internal implementation that might be even easier since you will be creating reports on already existing logged data instead of creating new structures to told temporary data.

Still, allowing employees to change their time sheets before time sheets are approved and allowing those changes after the approval should be separate  administrative settings. I am not sure our company would benefit from either. I'd have to play with the actual implementation to be sure.

Finally, right now there is no way I can see to edit a start of the time-sheet and/or schedule it is on while an employee has clocked-in but has not yet clocked out. An ability to allow managers and/or supervisors changing an ongoing time sheet would be indeed handy.

Thanks!

- Mike